Slush 2022 will be a carbon-negative event.
Towards carbon-negative future
Together with Compensate, we are calculating the full carbon footprint of the 2022 event. The calculations will cover emissions from the event itself, including our year-round activities, as well as attendees’ flights, hotels, and meals for their stay in Helsinki.
Armed with a better picture of where our emissions come from, we are proactively finding ways to reduce that footprint, for example, by going 100% vegetarian in our food offering at the event, creating a carbon budget for our team travel, and thinking of new ways of scaling our influence beyond events. In parallel to working on reducing our emissions, we will be carbon-negative by offsetting our carbon footprint through carbon capture projects curated by the nonprofit Compensate.
You can help us reach this goal! We will compensate your flights to Helsinki, but you can do it yourself as well and increase the carbon captured by the Slush community. Even better, you can fill out a short lifestyle questionnaire to understand your carbon footprint and take responsibility for your emissions. The Compensate app is free to use and available in AppStore and Google Play – download it and offset your flight right away!
100% recycled clothing
Slush orders clothing for each volunteer and crew member, as we want to make it easy for event-goers to distinguish who is working and volunteering for Slush. In addition to crew clothing, we design and order Slush 2022 collection that can be bought at the Slush store. The clothing for Slush 2022 is designed to last time and use. We design and order clothes with PureWaste. All materials are made from 100% recycled textile waste.
The total Footprint emissions of Slush 2021 Collection:
- 3 217 000 liters of water used
- 2 869 kg of CO2 emissions generated
The total Handprint of the Slush 2021 collection:
- 3 760 986 liters of water saved – equal to the basic daily water requirements of 50 146 people
- 2 808 kg of CO2 emissions reduced – equals the average CO2 emissions of driving an average passenger car in Finland for 20 157 kilometers.
We will offset all the CO2 emissions of the Slush 2022 collection with Compensate.
Recycling at the event
- We reuse and repurpose all the decorative materials and effects used at the events, making sure each year has a unique look without burdening nature.
- We have created an afterlife plan together with L&T to reduce the amount of waste we produce.
- We favor compostable materials when creating the event.
- Slush is a paperless event. It is forbidden to attach any kind of printed media in any other place than the booth owned by our Partner.
- Sharing of stickers, balloons, flyers, and other printed media is prohibited. Also, rollups are forbidden.
- To avoid unnecessary waste, Slush discourages the distribution of physical products, or giveaways, at the booth. If any products are given away, the product materials must be as eco-friendly as possible.
- We collaborate with FloweRescue to redistribute all Slush greenery after the event.
You may ask, how can greenery really be redistributed? In 2021, together with Sun Effects and FloweRescue we redistributed about 1,000 plants to 14 different nursing homes around Helsinki.
Fully Plant-Based Eating Experience
This year at Slush all restaurants will only include vegetarian dishes, with an option to make everything vegan. Our menus have been curated together with the Chef and Food Designer, Linnea Vihonen and they have been designed to be not only sustainable and delicious but also 100% part of the unforgettable Slush experience.
Our menus reflect on this year’s theme, Break of Dawn: The goal of the dishes is to excite you about what the future holds for food. To make this all come to reality, we’ve partnered with Meeat, ROOTY, and Don Tortilla. We could not be more excited to bring their amazing, sustainable, and delicious products to your plates at Slush 2022.
What else will go down?
- In the Meeting Area, we have partnered up with Rebl Eats. The fully plant-based delicacies of Rebl Eats ensure that all Slush 2022 attendees stay nourished while being busy networking with their peers.
- Our new recyclable cloakroom tags, created as a joint project with Woodly and one of Europe’s leading research institutes, VTT, are made from the unique carbon-neutral and wood-based Woodly® material.
- Public transportation runs smoothly in Helsinki and is both a convenient and more environmentally friendly choice to move from one place to another. We encourage our eventgoers to opt for public transportation and offer free public transport tickets to our volunteers.
- We are utilizing Fortum’s renewable electricity to charge the electric cars that we’ll be using during the event.