Slush Singapore has gathered: 3,000 attendees, 360 startups, 250 investors, 200 students and 90 speakers. The one-day event will be all about celebrating technology and entrepreneurship through a series of talks, panels and fireside chats.
The main organizer of Slush Singapore, Anna Ratala, opened the event by highlighting the great work from all of the 300 Slush Singapore volunteers: “Slush is more than just an event, we are a global movement of students, entrepreneurs, and volunteers. The reason why we are here today is because of all of our volunteers. They have been working day and night to make Slush happened. Slush would not exist if it wasn’t for them.”
As the theme of the event is Black & White, there is no doubt the attendees of Slush Singapore will get a deep dive into the most inspiring topics covering everything from ethics in UX, how to find the heart and soul of technology to impact investing in Asia. Ratala explains: “Nothing in life is really black and white, there is always different shades of colors. We want to dig deeper and look around the obvious and encourage the attendees to get beyond the black and white and see the true colors.”
After the opening words, the event kicked off with a fireside chat with the former Prime Minister of Estonia, Taavi Roivas, talking about the Digital Estonia plan: how it helped Estonia build successful companies such as Skype and TransferWise and how the plan has taken Estonian startups forward. Other speakers taking the Slush Singapore stage are Dr Carolyn Ng – Vice President of Vertex Ventures HC, Manny Fernandez – Co-Founder & CEO of Dreamfunded, Laura Allen – Co-Founder & COO at Gone Adventurin (GA) and Christian Lee – Managing Director, WeWork Asia. The speakers are on a mission to inspire the next generation of world-conquering founders forward.
What to Expect next?
- The TOP30 startups of the Pitch Competition will be pitching on the Grey Stage from 12:10 onwards. The winner of the Pitch Competition will be announced on the White Stage later today.
- The Q&A Boomerang corner is the place where the attendees get to ask questions from the speakers.
- White Stage boosts the pressing issues and instigates thought-provoking perspectives into paradigms of the current and future society by thought leaders and entrepreneurs.
- Black Stage will be all about insights of the problem solvers and change-makers of the region.
- The Startup Demo Area is the place for startups to showcase their ideas and products and is the best place to go to get familiar with the startups.
- The Meeting Area is where the magic happens, bringing investors and startups together for negotiations.